SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice) organizes and motivates white people to work for racial justice. We envision a society where we struggle together with love, for justice, human dignity and a sustainable world.
White supremacy is woven into the fabric of every modern institution of governance and economics in the United States. Racism - the manifestation of white supremacy in our everyday lives - is devastating to people of color and is closely intertwined with all systems of oppression. It robs all of us - white people and people of color - of our humanity.
We honor and learn from the long history of people of color and white people who have been unrelenting in their struggles for racial justice, and and in their drive to end all systems of oppression.
We encourage white people to act collectively and publicly to challenge the manipulation of racist fear by the ruling class and corporate elite. We know that to transform this country we must be part of building a powerful multi-racial majority to challenge racism in all its forms, and we hope you will join us!
About SURJ SF
The San Francisco chapter of SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice) is one of more than 150 chapters nationwide. We support local partners to dismantle racism within ourselves, in our communities, and in our city.
We meet in small working groups to turn our passion into action. The current working groups are:
- Administration/Communications — Develop messaging and operational strategy of SURJ SF
- Basebuilding — Motivate white people to join the racial justice movement through outreach and education
- Direct Action — Coordinate white people to engage in demonstrations led by people of color
- Dialogues — Gather to learn and discuss issues of race, identity, privilege, and community - email@example.com
- Fundraising — Organize around reparations-oriented fundraising to encourage and facilitate white communities divesting from wealth and redistributing it to communities who have experienced harm from racist and colonialist systems of oppression
- Youth and Families — Engage parents and children in anti-racist work through a family-friendly lens
SURJ is a national network of groups and individuals organizing white people for racial justice.
We connect people across the country while supporting and collaborating with local and national racial justice organizing efforts. Through community organizing, mobilizing and education, SURJ moves white people to act as part of a multi-racial majority for justice with passion and accountability. SURJ provides a space to build relationships, skills and political analysis to act for change.